How to Revoke a Will

If circumstances in your life have changed, and you want to revoke your will, then you can do so through a variety of different ways. You can destroy your old will so that it cannot be detected by burning it or shredding it and you can create a new will that will be observed as the most updated and current document that will guide the distribution of your assets after you pass.

You can also make changes to your existing will, and instead of revoking it you can modify it to reflect your current wishes. In some situations, giving away all of your property before you die can essentially revoke your will because there will not be any property left to give to those that were originally supposed to receive it.

If you choose to destroy your will, you will want to obliterate it completely. If you simply fold up the will and put it in a drawer, or write a note on the will saying you revoked it, chances are that this will not be enough. This is especially true if you never replace the will with a new one. You will want to burn, tear, or shred the will so that it is complete destroyed. You can also ask someone else to destroy it for you in your presence with permission.

Oftentimes you will need to look at the state statutes to learn how a will can be destroyed in your state. A lot of states allow revocation by destruction with testator's permission. Most states won't honor writing on the will that says it's revoked, or any actions like a testator drawing an "X' on the document or through some of the pages. The courts will normally treat an improperly destroyed will as a will that never changed at all.

If you chose to make a new will, you will want to ensure that is properly executed. You may even want to will to indicate that it is the final testament and that it is going to revoke all old wills that were previously made. An attorney or an estate planning officials can help you with the language of the will so that it is accurate and helpful. If you like parts of your will, but don't appreciate other parts, then you may need to make changes to your existing will. You will want to create this "codicil" with the help of an estate planning attorney.

You can change key aspects of the existing will, such as what beneficiaries get which money, and will be able to include any new beneficiaries or acquired finances within the document. You want to make sure to update your will whenever a significant change in your finances or your family. For example, if you have grandchildren you want to include in the will, or have a falling out with your sole beneficiary, then you may want to update your will with new information.

Whenever you are creating wills or revoking them, you need a wise estate planning lawyer on your side. With a local probate attorney there to help, you will have a better chance of accomplishing your goal and making a will that will be honored by the courts when you pass away. If you try to complete this document or demolish an old one on your own, you may end up in a bind. If you pass away, the courts may not know that you were trying to amend the will, and may not administer your fortune to beneficiaries as you desired. If you want more information about this situation then you need to contact a lawyer promptly for help! Don't hesitate to use this director to get ahold of a lawyer today!